Richmond CenterStage, Altria Theater
Richmond, Virginia, USA
The centerpiece of Richmond CenterStage, the Carpenter Theatre originally opened as a Lowe’s Theatre in 1928. The grand movie palace was restored and re-built including new stagehouse, seating, and modern theatre equipment, among many other improvements. The multipurpose theatre can now accommodate Broadway-scale touring groups as well as symphony, dance, and amplified music. Additionally, an adjacent building—a former department store—was gutted and adapted to include three venues: a 200-seat flexible theatre, a jazz/cabaret space, and a reception area and gallery for the visual arts. Additional spaces in the adjoining building—now known as Dorothy Pauley Square—include an arts education center, artists’ studios, and administrative offices.