By converting a long-abandoned campus landmark from a swimming pool into an intimate 280-seat recital hall, Bowdoin reaffirmed its commitment to music education and performance, and to the preservation of its historic buildings. In the hall, two parallel convex arcs intimately enclose the stage and orchestra seating area.
Behind the stage, a section of balcony can be used for additional performers or as audience seating. Large wooden pylons line the walls, concealing adjustable acoustic devices, and overhead, an elegant acoustic ceiling contains state-of-the-art audio equipment. The hall features extensive recording infrastructure, which allows performances and practices to be taped and reviewed—the same infrastructure extends to nine new practice rooms, which can serve as satellite performance, practice, and composition spaces. The original 1927 windows surround the hall and cast the room’s warm birchwood accents in natural light. The adaptive reuse—which included painstaking removal of the pool and the addition of new steel structural supports—has made the facility the center for of music teaching, training, and performance on campus.
- 280-seat recital hall