The centerpiece of the Dominion Arts Center, the Carpenter Theatre, originally opened as a Loew’s Theatre in 1928. The grand movie palace was restored and re-built including a new stage house, re-seating, modern theatre equipment, and new rehearsal rooms and amenities, among other improvements. The multipurpose theatre can now easily accommodate a steady stream of Broadway-scale touring groups in addition to orchestral and amplified music, dance, and spoken word. As part of the project, an adjacent building—a former department store—was gutted and renovated to include a 200-seat flexible theatre, a 150-seat multipurpose room, reception area, and a visual arts gallery. Additional spaces in the adjoining building—now known as Dorothy Pauley Square—include an arts education center, artists’ studios, and administrative offices.
- 1,760-seat multipurpose theatre
- 200-seat flexible theatre
- 150-seat multipurpose room